Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hideous progeny







  Still thinking about Frankenstein... 
 I came across an interesting thing that Mary Shelley wrote in her introduction to the 1831 edition. "Perhaps the component parts of a creature might be manufactured, brought together, and endued with vital warmth."

 This got my noggin thinking...in the book Dr.Frankenstein experiments on dead bodies, but there is no mention that a dead body was used to create the creature. Later in the story when Frankenstein begins to build another creature, there is no mention of him dragging a body to his new Laboratory. So it could be that Dr. Frankenstein "manufactured" the creature's parts in his own strange way. Created organs, and brains, eyeballs, and hearts to fit the creature's great size. 

 The vision that stuck in my head was of some overgrown embryo, a creature that would have giant blue veins, under almost, yellow, white translucent skin.. A bad sculpture, half finished, half aborted, if you will of a human. The creature would be either made from science or from some strange mystical darkness that the young Dr. Frankenstein was experimenting with, symbols that would be written over the creatures body.

  The vision was so great, I knocked out these quick color studies to use for a larger painting later.

I will keep at it, when the time permits sketching away at this creature that has captured so much of my imagination. 
Frank.

3 comments:

  1. These are all fantastic Frank!
    I sent you an e-mail and was a bit sad that I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to swing back over here until now.
    I never knew your interest into Mary Shelley's Frankenstein but I am very excited to see all this work up here about it! It's a double bonus for the monster and legend fanatic in me.

    -matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the first one. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete